Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Hero of the Day - Nelson Mandela




Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela, a South African legend and mentor to people all over the world. It is not who he is that makes him a hero, but what he was able to achieve for the people.

Nelson Mandela's heroism was shown with his peaceful nonviolent actions to terminate apartheid in South Africa which led to his winning of the Nobel Peace Prize in 1993. He also led the people of South Africa after apartheid was abolished and travelled round the world to fight for peoples right. He also fought segregation and apartheid, all for the benefit of the people.

''During my lifetime I have dedicated myself to the struggle of the African people. I have fought against white domination and I have fought against black domination. I have cherished the ideal of a democratic and free society in which all persons live together in harmony and with equal opportunities. It is an ideal which I hope to live for and to achieve. But if need be, it is an ideal for which I am prepared to die.''-Nelson Mandela

1 comment: